After a Lyft accident, you will likely receive a cash offer from the at-fault driver. It can be risky to accept such a cash offer, no matter how disastrous the accident is. You do not know what the extent of the damages will be.
Mentioned below are the downsides of accepting cash offers from an at-fault driver after a crash and why you should speak to a Lyft accident lawyer in Jersey city before accepting such offers.
What to do if the at-fault driver offers cash after a Lyft accident?
Accepting an exchange cash offer after an accident might sound sketchy, but technically it is not illegal. After all, the person who caused the accident should be held liable for the damages.
The practice is not illegal, but it is essential to be wary of the driver who offers cash after an accident. There are many reasons why the at-fault driver may offer cash:
- The at-fault party does not want the involvement of the police to prevent the case from going on their driving record.
- The at-fault party broke the law during the crash, such as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The at-fault party does not want their insurance company to get involved, which may result in paying higher premiums in the future.
Another thing to remember is that the at-fault party is trying to avoid liability altogether, or they might tell you to accept the offer and not make any claims afterward. In order to make you accept the offer, the driver may provide you with their contact information, and in most cases, you will not hear from that person again.
Should you accept a cash offer from the at-fault party?
You might be tempted to accept a cash offer from the at-fault party, but it is never a good idea. Firstly, you do not know the extent of your damage. Secondly, you might be hurt and need medical attention, leading to expensive medical bills.
Unless you get the driver’s insurance company information, you will not be able to file a claim. Even if you can find the insurance company information, the claim might be weak without a police report.
It is important to contact the police and file a report after a Lyft car accident, no matter how minor the crash may seem. The police will be able to include the following observations in the report.
- Involved drivers state whether they were impaired.
- If overspeeding is the cause of the accident.
- Whether medical services were contacted at the crash scene.
- Whether visibility or road conditions contributed to the crash.